An important measure of a professional degree program’s success is the ability of its graduates to secure significant employment following graduation.
Master in Real Estate graduates will be prepared to assume important positions worldwide in private for-profit real estate companies doing projects that involve extensive public review, public subsidies, or public-private partnerships; private not-for-profit real estate entities such as community development corporations and affordable housing developers; public and quasi-public agencies that partner with private developers; real estate advisory and consulting organizations; public and private investors seeking projects that advance socially and environmentally beneficial outcomes; and anchor institutions such as universities and medical institutions that play increasingly significant roles in urban development. Some MRE graduates may choose to set off on their own entrepreneurial path. Others may decide to return to the organization where they worked prior to matriculation, but with opportunities for promotion and new directions based on their MRE degree.
The Master in Real Estate degree has been designated a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) degree. Thus, international students holding F-1 visas may be eligible for a 24-month Optional Practical Training (OPT) extension on top of their initial OPT of 12 months, for a total of 36 months, following graduation. For further information, go to the Harvard International Office’s information page.
MRE students enjoy the advantages of Harvard’s vast network of services and alumni engaged in real estate practice worldwide.
The GSD’s Office of Career Services provides career counseling, Connect GSD (mentorship platform), and access to CREATE for post-graduation employment opportunities, programs, and events geared toward career success.
The Harvard Real Estate Alumni Organization (HREAO), an official Harvard Alumni Association “Shared Interest Group,” serves all students and alumni of Harvard University regardless of school or degree. Its mission is to create opportunities for members to enhance their knowledge of the business of real estate, to network, and to share experiences and enhance professional relationships with current students and other graduates of Harvard University.
The Harvard Alumni Real Estate Board (HAREB), a member of the Harvard Real Estate Alumni Organization, is also comprised of members of the University’s alumni community working in the real estate arena who are committed to collaborative, interdisciplinary real estate engagement across the University. This philosophy is displayed in the organizations dual mission: sustaining an engaged network of Harvard alumni in real estate to foster professional and personal growth, while simultaneously enhancing the experience of students interested in the study of real estate at the University. HAREB meets twice yearly, over two days, in the fall and spring in Cambridge.
The Board’s student engagement includes a robust calendar of creative programming and experiential learning opportunities that both complement and build on Harvard’s existing real estate curriculum. HAREB
- holds networking events on-campus and around the world, where students are given opportunities to connect with peers, alumni, and industry leaders to expand their professional network.
- offers mentoring opportunities, where students are given the chance to meet Harvard Alumni Real Estate Board members, participate in one-on-one mentoring meetings and résumé reviews, receive career advice, and build formal mentoring relationships.
- sponsors professional training, where students can participate in training workshops to learn how to model real estate cash flows in ARGUS, gain a deeper understanding of real estate financial modeling with Microsoft Excel, and acquire the knowledge and skills to identify and perform analysis on distressed commercial real estate assets.
- hosts career treks giving students the opportunity to engage in real estate treks to private- and public-sector companies both domestically and internationally.
- arranges guest speakers and panels providing access to a wide range of industry leaders, through which students gain an in-depth understanding of the diverse sectors in the field and acquire the tools to forge a successful career in real estate.