Student Employment Eligibility

Student employment at the GSD is reserved for enrolled, continuing students. No work should begin until a GSD payroll coordinator has verified students’ work eligibility and their hire paperwork has been completed. If you are a student who is offered a job, do not begin working until you have submitted the necessary documentation to your payroll coordinatorand they have verified your work eligibility. 

Enrolled Students

Currently, students working anywhere in the United States, who are legally authorized to work in the U.S., may be hired as GSD student employees. At this time, students residing outside of the U.S. are not eligible to work. 

Beginning fall 2021, the GSD will resume its pre-pandemic employment policies that require student employees to conduct their work in Massachusetts. If applicable, state income taxes will be withheld.  

Maximum Number of Work Hours Per Week: 20 hours/week in total, among all jobs combined at the University when classes are in session, 40 hours/week in total during breaks. Students should not be incurring overtime pay. 

Students on Leave of Absence (LOA)

Students on a Leave of Absence (LOA) are not eligible for student employment positions. However, students may work during the summer in which they declare a LOA for the upcoming semester or year, as long as they are enrolled in the spring semester prior to that summer. Students who declare a LOA will lose their student status but are eligible for summer employment through the temporary payroll. 

Employment Opportunities for International Students 

International students do not have access to a financial aid-based work award program, but employment opportunities are still available. 

If you are interested in working while in attendance, you should review the employment information and restrictions on the Harvard International Office website. 

International students should review the student-announce listserv and the Harvard University Student Employment Office for job listings. As long as a position is not specifically slated as work-study only, you should be able to apply. 

There are two additional employment benefits for F-1 status and J-1 status students: 

  • Optional Practical Training (OPT) is a benefit for F-1 students to work off-campus in a field directly related to their major area of study 
  • Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is a type of employment authorization allowing employment that is related to the student's major field of study and is also an integral part of an established curriculum

How to Find and Post GSD Jobs

If you are a student looking for work, Career Services posts available jobs through the student-announce listserv. 

If you are seeking to post a job for GSD student applications, please find information in the Types of Student Employment pages (anchor to that point in webpage)below.  

Faculty and staff wanting to hire student workers and students employed at the GSD should familiarize themselves with the GSD Student Payroll procedures. Faculty can find out more at Hiring Students: Information for Faculty. 

Harvard Graduate Student Union

On June 30, 2020, members of the Harvard Graduate Student Union (HGSU-UAW) voted to ratify the Union’s first contract with Harvard University. The agreement, which is available on the Provost’s Office Student Unionization website, went into effect on July 1, 2020. The union’s bargaining unit comprises all students enrolled in a degree program and employed to provide instructional services (undergraduate and graduate) and graduate students employed as research assistants. The contract stipulates, among many things, that all students in positions in the HGSU bargaining unit will receive an appointment letter upon hiring. This letter will include employment parameters, which may include but are not limited to a description of duties, rate of pay, location of work, expected schedule, and a cap on total hours for hourly positions. Faculty supervisors may be asked to provide this information to ensure these letters adequately reflect duties and other details of each position. 

For more information: 

Harvard Graduate Student Union (HGSU-UAW)
c/o UAW Region 9A
960 Turnpike Street, Suite 2D
Canton MA 02021
Phone: (617) 475-0677

Non-Discrimination and Title IX

Harvard is committed to the safety and wellbeing of every member of our community and strives to ensure an environment that is free of discrimination and harassment. With that commitment in mind, the contract provisions include seats for HGSU-UAW representatives on the existing Title IX Policy Review Committee, a University-wide group that includes faculty, students and staff. Additionally, HGSU-UAW will have representatives on two to-be-established committees that will make recommendations on University policies and procedures for addressing other forms of discrimination and misconduct that do not fall under the federal Title IX regulations.   

For more information: 

Harvard Title IX Office
Smith Campus Center Suite 901
1350 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge MA 02138
Phone: (617) 496-0200

Types of Student Employment

The GSD offers many different types of student employment opportunities. The following jobs are included in the bargaining unit of the HGSU as instructional or research positions. More information on responsibilities, pay rates, and hiring policies can be found on these pages: 

Technical and Administrative positions exist at the GSD but are not included in the union bargaining unit.